Popular Posts
-
I'm not just here for a visit This world is where I live Earth is where I keep all my stuff
-
Escape is such a thankful Word I often in the Night Consider it unto myself No spectacle in sight Escape — it is the Basket In which t...
-
October 31, 2010 First Lesson You know the line where ocean meets sky just past all we know deep waters and the pull of darkness to...
-
I T I N W O R D S It is my favorite word, It describes everything, It is used by me in place of all big words, It i...
-
The prompt for poems to write by November 16 is the line: "this is what it is like. Or what it is like in words." from the followi...
-
Next Tuesday's meeting will be in NSH-209 again. Once again we have no prompt, but those who intend to submit a poem for reading at the...
-
The club today voted to send Dan Simmon's poem as our submission to the Commuter this week. Can You Tell? by Danny Earl Simmons I...
-
A Nathan is a name that claims the bearer is a gift from god. As if that were more true for them than any other random clod. While pompous...
-
Hello all, The deadline for the "Words and Pictures" photo/poem exhibit poetry submissions is Tuesday, March 1 before noon. He...
-
After far too long being too busy with other things, we finally have a regular weekly poetry prompt again. The prompt itself for next week i...
Blogger templates
Blogger news
Blogroll
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(27)
-
▼
November
(22)
- No Cigar
- I T I N W O R D S It is my fa...
- Next time.......
- ...had to be there.....
- Of Sky and Sea
- Childhood Revisited
- First Lesson
- Basementality
- What did you expect?
- Rapture
- Solid Ground
- A Thankful Word
- Friends
- Next Time
- First Lesson
- This Friendship
- Next Time
- What it is like in words
- Next time, what I'd do
- Important.
- Suddenly I understood that I am happy
- What I Wish I'd Learned Sooner
-
▼
November
(22)
Powered by Blogger.
Categories
- Poems (83)
- Prompts (43)
- Photos (9)
- Choir (6)
- Commentary (6)
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
By Turtle Shell
This is one of the November 2 meeting's First Lesson poems.
------------------------------
What I Wish I'd Learned Sooner
There's a voice inside your head
That tells you lies and makes you dread
The vivid thought comes fast as lightning
Tells you which things are good and which are frightening.
Just after perception, before you can blink
The voice flashes through, the first thing you think
Born from reflex without time for logic
Emotion's aroused by a voice demagogic.
No allegory this, the voice I speak of is real
It's there in your head telling you what to feel
But being so fleeting, to most it just isn't apparent
That the emotions it evokes aren't simply inherent.
The voice isn't evil, it's part of how our minds work
But in its speed and obscurity there are dangers that lurk
It can wax hyperbolic on perils that are in reality mild
And in so doing foment fear and send anxieties wild.
The first lesson then is to know, to know that it's there
To know how it works, the effect it has, to just be aware
The voice isn't perfect, it can be right, it can be wrong
And it can be CHANGED, you don't have to just play along.
To catch that lightning voice and make it submit
Is no trivial task, it takes work I'll admit
But the power to take charge of your emotions is yours, in your hand
That is my message, what I want you to understand.
This is one of the November 2 meeting's First Lesson poems.
------------------------------
What I Wish I'd Learned Sooner
There's a voice inside your head
That tells you lies and makes you dread
The vivid thought comes fast as lightning
Tells you which things are good and which are frightening.
Just after perception, before you can blink
The voice flashes through, the first thing you think
Born from reflex without time for logic
Emotion's aroused by a voice demagogic.
No allegory this, the voice I speak of is real
It's there in your head telling you what to feel
But being so fleeting, to most it just isn't apparent
That the emotions it evokes aren't simply inherent.
The voice isn't evil, it's part of how our minds work
But in its speed and obscurity there are dangers that lurk
It can wax hyperbolic on perils that are in reality mild
And in so doing foment fear and send anxieties wild.
The first lesson then is to know, to know that it's there
To know how it works, the effect it has, to just be aware
The voice isn't perfect, it can be right, it can be wrong
And it can be CHANGED, you don't have to just play along.
To catch that lightning voice and make it submit
Is no trivial task, it takes work I'll admit
But the power to take charge of your emotions is yours, in your hand
That is my message, what I want you to understand.
Labels:
First Lesson,
Poems,
Turtle Shell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment