Popular Posts
-
I'm not just here for a visit This world is where I live Earth is where I keep all my stuff
-
Escape is such a thankful Word I often in the Night Consider it unto myself No spectacle in sight Escape — it is the Basket In which t...
-
October 31, 2010 First Lesson You know the line where ocean meets sky just past all we know deep waters and the pull of darkness to...
-
Next Tuesday's meeting will be in NSH-209 again. Once again we have no prompt, but those who intend to submit a poem for reading at the...
-
I T I N W O R D S It is my favorite word, It describes everything, It is used by me in place of all big words, It i...
-
The prompt for poems to write by November 16 is the line: "this is what it is like. Or what it is like in words." from the followi...
-
j?A! M!t(hE//'..... What did you expect? ....... What did you experience when you elated into the theater. This is what it's ...
-
The club today voted to send Dan Simmon's poem as our submission to the Commuter this week. Can You Tell? by Danny Earl Simmons I...
-
Silly me. Time gets away from you, y'know? In case you have inordinate amounts of time on your hands (like our fellow poet friend Peter,...
-
After far too long being too busy with other things, we finally have a regular weekly poetry prompt again. The prompt itself for next week i...
Blogger templates
Blogger news
Blogroll
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(27)
-
▼
November
(22)
- No Cigar
- I T I N W O R D S It is my fa...
- Next time.......
- ...had to be there.....
- Of Sky and Sea
- Childhood Revisited
- First Lesson
- Basementality
- What did you expect?
- Rapture
- Solid Ground
- A Thankful Word
- Friends
- Next Time
- First Lesson
- This Friendship
- Next Time
- What it is like in words
- Next time, what I'd do
- Important.
- Suddenly I understood that I am happy
- What I Wish I'd Learned Sooner
-
▼
November
(22)
Powered by Blogger.
Categories
- Poems (83)
- Prompts (43)
- Photos (9)
- Choir (6)
- Commentary (6)
Sunday, November 14, 2010
By Turtle Shell
This is one of the October 19 meeting's Next Time poems.
------------------------------
Next Time
Next time, what I'll do
is try to join a club or two.
I won't slip in and out of school again
like a sewing needle with no thread.
Next time I'll do more than spend my days
just attending classes, and getting A's.
I'll unlearn how not to be seen,
unlearn how to not talk to strangers.
Unlearn skills hard won to protect the fragile heart
of a weird child who couldn't bear criticism,
from the childish peers
who couldn't let weirdness go unmocked.
Those skills were hard won and are harder lost.
So I'll join some clubs. Maybe a study group.
I'll smile at people, just to see who smiles back.
I'll learn to engage conversation, and not just deflect it.
I can relearn how to make friends.
It's an ability I had once, long ago,
so I'm certain I can reclaim it.
What is going back to school for,
if not to learn such useful things?
That's what I'll do, next time.
This is one of the October 19 meeting's Next Time poems.
------------------------------
Next Time
Next time, what I'll do
is try to join a club or two.
I won't slip in and out of school again
like a sewing needle with no thread.
Next time I'll do more than spend my days
just attending classes, and getting A's.
I'll unlearn how not to be seen,
unlearn how to not talk to strangers.
Unlearn skills hard won to protect the fragile heart
of a weird child who couldn't bear criticism,
from the childish peers
who couldn't let weirdness go unmocked.
Those skills were hard won and are harder lost.
So I'll join some clubs. Maybe a study group.
I'll smile at people, just to see who smiles back.
I'll learn to engage conversation, and not just deflect it.
I can relearn how to make friends.
It's an ability I had once, long ago,
so I'm certain I can reclaim it.
What is going back to school for,
if not to learn such useful things?
That's what I'll do, next time.
Labels:
Next Time,
Poems,
Turtle Shell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment