Popular Posts
-
I'm not just here for a visit This world is where I live Earth is where I keep all my stuff
-
Escape is such a thankful Word I often in the Night Consider it unto myself No spectacle in sight Escape — it is the Basket In which t...
-
October 31, 2010 First Lesson You know the line where ocean meets sky just past all we know deep waters and the pull of darkness to...
-
I T I N W O R D S It is my favorite word, It describes everything, It is used by me in place of all big words, It i...
-
The prompt for poems to write by November 16 is the line: "this is what it is like. Or what it is like in words." from the followi...
-
Hello all, The deadline for the "Words and Pictures" photo/poem exhibit poetry submissions is Tuesday, March 1 before noon. He...
-
Next Tuesday's meeting will be in NSH-209 again. Once again we have no prompt, but those who intend to submit a poem for reading at the...
-
After far too long being too busy with other things, we finally have a regular weekly poetry prompt again. The prompt itself for next week i...
-
The club today voted to send Dan Simmon's poem as our submission to the Commuter this week. Can You Tell? by Danny Earl Simmons I...
-
A Nathan is a name that claims the bearer is a gift from god. As if that were more true for them than any other random clod. While pompous...
Blogger templates
Blogger news
Blogroll
Powered by Blogger.
Categories
- Poems (83)
- Prompts (43)
- Photos (9)
- Choir (6)
- Commentary (6)
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
by Turtle Shell
First and last
on every list
every day
is sleep.
You can kill yourself without dying
Cast your spirit into an unliving stupor
Too tired to focus, too depressed to care
Too desperate for any meager drops
of fun, or feeling,
to go to bed when you should.
Sleep deprivation
self-perpetuates.
For seven weeks
Winter term
Junior year
I was my own zombie horror flick
A stumbling, despondent parody of life
I am horrified that it took me so long to wake up.
I will never forget
I will never reprise
those dolorous delirious days.
So here is my second lesson:
First and last
on every list
every day
is sleep.
First and last
on every list
every day
is sleep.
You can kill yourself without dying
Cast your spirit into an unliving stupor
Too tired to focus, too depressed to care
Too desperate for any meager drops
of fun, or feeling,
to go to bed when you should.
Sleep deprivation
self-perpetuates.
For seven weeks
Winter term
Junior year
I was my own zombie horror flick
A stumbling, despondent parody of life
I am horrified that it took me so long to wake up.
I will never forget
I will never reprise
those dolorous delirious days.
So here is my second lesson:
First and last
on every list
every day
is sleep.
Labels:
Poems,
To-do list,
Turtle Shell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
This one started to feel a little preachy at the end, but that just sounded right to me so I ran with it and made it explicitly a sequel to my old First Lesson poem, which was kind of all about being preachy.
Post a Comment