Popular Posts
-
I'm not just here for a visit This world is where I live Earth is where I keep all my stuff
-
Escape is such a thankful Word I often in the Night Consider it unto myself No spectacle in sight Escape — it is the Basket In which t...
-
Hello all, The deadline for the "Words and Pictures" photo/poem exhibit poetry submissions is Tuesday, March 1 before noon. He...
-
I cursed the snow from the curved out well of an ancient fir having just landed in the one tiny place lacking enough snow to cushion m...
-
The club today voted to send Dan Simmon's poem as our submission to the Commuter this week. Can You Tell? by Danny Earl Simmons I...
-
I T I N W O R D S It is my favorite word, It describes everything, It is used by me in place of all big words, It i...
-
The prompt for poems to write by November 16 is the line: "this is what it is like. Or what it is like in words." from the followi...
-
Next Tuesday's meeting will be in NSH-209 again. Once again we have no prompt, but those who intend to submit a poem for reading at the...
-
October 31, 2010 First Lesson You know the line where ocean meets sky just past all we know deep waters and the pull of darkness to...
Blogger templates
Blogger news
Blogroll
Powered by Blogger.
Categories
- Poems (83)
- Prompts (43)
- Photos (9)
- Choir (6)
- Commentary (6)
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
by Langston Hughes
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
--------------------
Our prompt for the week is 'what happens to a dream when it gets deferred?' I don't think we have to restrict ourselves to the list of options that Langston Hughes provided.
In other news, we're looking for LBCC Poet Laureate applicants for next year. Not 'we' the LBCC Poetry Club, precisely, but near enough. So if you know anyone who might be interested, get them in touch with someone who can help them apply (Robin probably would be best, or someone else in the English department). There's apparently a $250 per term stipened sweetening the pot for whoever is chosen to take up the mantle.
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
--------------------
Our prompt for the week is 'what happens to a dream when it gets deferred?' I don't think we have to restrict ourselves to the list of options that Langston Hughes provided.
In other news, we're looking for LBCC Poet Laureate applicants for next year. Not 'we' the LBCC Poetry Club, precisely, but near enough. So if you know anyone who might be interested, get them in touch with someone who can help them apply (Robin probably would be best, or someone else in the English department). There's apparently a $250 per term stipened sweetening the pot for whoever is chosen to take up the mantle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment