Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Blogger news

Blogroll

Powered by Blogger.

Categories

Tuesday, May 24, 2011
by Turtle Shell


First and last
on every list
every day
is sleep.

You can kill yourself without dying
Cast your spirit into an unliving stupor
Too tired to focus, too depressed to care
Too desperate for any meager drops
of fun, or feeling,
to go to bed when you should.

Sleep deprivation
self-perpetuates.

For seven weeks
Winter term
Junior year
I was my own zombie horror flick
A stumbling, despondent parody of life

I am horrified that it took me so long to wake up.
I will never forget
I will never reprise
those dolorous delirious days.

So here is my second lesson:

First and last
on every list
every day
is sleep.

1 comments:

Turtle Shell said...

This one started to feel a little preachy at the end, but that just sounded right to me so I ran with it and made it explicitly a sequel to my old First Lesson poem, which was kind of all about being preachy.