Popular Posts
-
I'm not just here for a visit This world is where I live Earth is where I keep all my stuff
-
Escape is such a thankful Word I often in the Night Consider it unto myself No spectacle in sight Escape — it is the Basket In which t...
-
The club today voted to send Dan Simmon's poem as our submission to the Commuter this week. Can You Tell? by Danny Earl Simmons I...
-
October 31, 2010 First Lesson You know the line where ocean meets sky just past all we know deep waters and the pull of darkness to...
-
A Nathan is a name that claims the bearer is a gift from god. As if that were more true for them than any other random clod. While pompous...
-
I T I N W O R D S It is my favorite word, It describes everything, It is used by me in place of all big words, It i...
-
The prompt for poems to write by November 16 is the line: "this is what it is like. Or what it is like in words." from the followi...
-
Hello all, The deadline for the "Words and Pictures" photo/poem exhibit poetry submissions is Tuesday, March 1 before noon. He...
-
Next Tuesday's meeting will be in NSH-209 again. Once again we have no prompt, but those who intend to submit a poem for reading at the...
-
I cursed the snow from the curved out well of an ancient fir having just landed in the one tiny place lacking enough snow to cushion m...
Blogger templates
Blogger news
Blogroll
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(71)
-
▼
January
(12)
- Selected
- A Curing Thought
- Without telling anyone
- Early submission
- Say it with a song. Live, Laugh, Love, Sing
- Selecting A Reader
- Solitude and Loneliness, Form vs. Function
- Solitude and Loneliness
- Surprise Surprise
- If I ever left Corvallis
- What will you do when you become a top executive i...
- Surprise
-
▼
January
(12)
Powered by Blogger.
Categories
- Poems (83)
- Prompts (43)
- Photos (9)
- Choir (6)
- Commentary (6)
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
by Turtle Shell
In studying the difference
between solitude and loneliness
I'm wondering if grins
are interludes and only this.
I amble past people
a hedge 'round my soul,
brambles that creep 'till
I've edged down a hole.
Solitude is having the time and space to work on your project until you get it juuuuuust right.
Loneliness is wishing you had someone to show what a good job you did.
Solitude is being in a place where you could strip naked and no one but you would care.
Loneliness is wishing someone cared.
I've been studying the difference
between solitude and loneliness
a bit too much lately.
I wish I could stop.
In studying the difference
between solitude and loneliness
I'm wondering if grins
are interludes and only this.
I amble past people
a hedge 'round my soul,
brambles that creep 'till
I've edged down a hole.
Solitude is having the time and space to work on your project until you get it juuuuuust right.
Loneliness is wishing you had someone to show what a good job you did.
Solitude is being in a place where you could strip naked and no one but you would care.
Loneliness is wishing someone cared.
I've been studying the difference
between solitude and loneliness
a bit too much lately.
I wish I could stop.
Labels:
Poems,
Solitude and Loneliness,
Turtle Shell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I wrote the second half of this first, and decided I didn't think it felt poetic enough. Too prosey. So I started over with the prompt and tried to force it to fit a very rigid rhyme and verse structure.
In the subtitles, "form" refers to poetic structure: rhyme, cadence, line-breaks, and all that. "Function" refers to the purpose of writing anything in the first place: communicating clearly what you intend to communicate. In each of this poem's parts I sacrificed one of these things on the altar of the other. I think I went too far in both instances, so I glued clumsily together what I had originally intended to be two attempts at the same poem, and now maybe it all evens out.
Post a Comment