Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Blogger news

Blogroll

Powered by Blogger.

Categories

Tuesday, January 18, 2011
by Turtle Shell


In studying the difference
between solitude and loneliness
I'm wondering if grins
are interludes and only this.
I amble past people
a hedge 'round my soul,
brambles that creep 'till
I've edged down a hole.


Solitude is having the time and space to work on your project until you get it juuuuuust right.
Loneliness is wishing you had someone to show what a good job you did.

Solitude is being in a place where you could strip naked and no one but you would care.
Loneliness is wishing someone cared.

I've been studying the difference
between solitude and loneliness
a bit too much lately.
I wish I could stop.

1 comments:

Turtle Shell said...

I wrote the second half of this first, and decided I didn't think it felt poetic enough. Too prosey. So I started over with the prompt and tried to force it to fit a very rigid rhyme and verse structure.

In the subtitles, "form" refers to poetic structure: rhyme, cadence, line-breaks, and all that. "Function" refers to the purpose of writing anything in the first place: communicating clearly what you intend to communicate. In each of this poem's parts I sacrificed one of these things on the altar of the other. I think I went too far in both instances, so I glued clumsily together what I had originally intended to be two attempts at the same poem, and now maybe it all evens out.