Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Blogger news

Blogroll

Powered by Blogger.

Categories

Tuesday, May 3, 2011
A Nathan is a name that claims the bearer is a gift from god.
As if that were more true for them than any other random clod.
While pompous parents gasconade their divine honorarium,
The apostate child conceives an autonomic planetarium.

Now to be named a Knight implies a certain measure of command,
Of horses, weapons, armor, plus a duty to the sovereign hand.
The prudent, pious, gallant man must vow to serve the polity,
And demonstrate a creed of polished gender inequality.

The baggage of a storied name is not that which I long to bear.
Though knights are fun and 'gift from god' yet has a charming ancient air.
Tav is the name that I go by and means just what I want to be,
It connotes naught and no-one else, it's wholly, solely, only me.
 
--------------------
 
I think this one is only half as long as it deserves to be, but it was hard to write and I don't feel like spending hours more coaxing words into tight verses just to make the flow feel less abrupt. Sorry if it sends you scurrying to find a dictionary, thesauruses are just a little bit too fun sometimes. And speaking of having too much fun while writing poetry, in case you didn't notice reading it through the first time, this poem has a verse structure (and implicit background music) ganked from a well-known song called The Elements by Tom Lehrer. 
 
...hee-hee, just kidding, I know it's actually originally from The Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan. Though you should click here if you want to see the version of the tune that got glued to the inside of my skull in my formative years.

0 comments: